Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More than meats the eye!


So I finally saw Transformers last night. I know, I know I'm way behind, but I just don't see that many movies in the Theatre anymore. Not only that but I really didn't want to be disappointed. Transformers was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and I didn't want it to be ruined for me.

Other than Shia being the star it was REALLY GOOD! I loved the Autobots. Bumblebee was sweet, Optimus Prime was cool, even Megatron was good. It was pretty cool. The sound effects were exactly what they should have been, the action was cool, and there was even a good amount of humor. Transformers, robots in disguise, Transformers, More than meets the eye!

So that line got me to thinking. More than meets the eye. What does that mean? That what you see isn't all that is there, that there is something deeper, that we only show what we want and there is more to us. This being the very opposite of transparency, are many Christians living like Transformers? Is there more than meets the eye when we look at our friends in church?

How open and honest are we really? What would happen if we were who we really are?

It would "ROCK OUR WORLD" and church would no longer be the same. Bro. Crusty Pants would most certainly rear his head, Sis. Bertha Better Than You would be "Righteously Indignant", and pastors would be rendered virtually incapacitated by all the phone calls. Or would they?

I'm reminded of the episode of Gilligan's Island where they found some beans. Beans that gave them the power to read minds. What happened, at first they were judgmental, but when they all started reading each other's minds they realized that they were all screwed up and stopped eating the beans.

Would this be what happened if we knew each other's faults? Would we realize not how bad the other person is but just how screwed up we are ourselves? I would like to think the latter would happen. If we were to not only to see ourselves but the real lives of others I think it would offer a tremendous amount of relief. I think that one of the biggest reasons that we try to hide our faults is that we think we are the only one with that fault. We think that since everyone else looks normal on the outside that we should look normal ourselves, even though we aren't. Thus the spiral begins, cover up, cover up, deny, cover up, deny, deny, cover up, deny, cover up, break down.

Galatians 6
1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
3For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

What would happen if we were to lay down our pretense, bear our souls, show our wounds and fulfill this scripture? Would that be actual ministry? YUP, it sure would. Brother helping brother, bearing each other's burdens, and fulfilling the law of Christ. How much healthier would the body of Christ be?

Christians: more than meets the eye...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll keep my response brief this time (LOL)

Transformers was pretty cool, I didn't mind Shia in that one (he wasn't trying to be Dr. Jones) The ending was a bit cheese, but hey... so was the cartoon. Looking forward to the sequel and G.I. Joe the movie next summer!

I try to remind myself that I'm not the only guy that is "messed up" in our church, but it is hard. We only see the good side of people on Sunday mornings. I don't think I'd really like to eat those "beans". The crazy thing is God doesn't need beans to read our thoughts and He loves us anyway.

Anonymous said...

Your friend has a good point. You are the best version of yourself around other people, not who you really are. I know that I am that way sometimes. I try to be the best version of myself at work too. I wish I was that person all the time. I'm working on it. I am looking forward to your other A.R.T.
Hope you had a good weekend.